Introducing the Revitalization Project.
We’ve got big plans for Westminster-Canterbury on Chesapeake Bay, and we are very excited to share them with you. Over the next few years, we will be investing $30 million in our future, because continuously improving our community and the lives of our residents is always our goal. We believe that our exciting new expansion and renovation plans will do just that.
Thanks to our innovative plans, residents of Coastal Virginia’s premier retirement community will soon be able to enjoy even more amenities in our beautiful beachfront setting. Construction has already begun on the first wave of the project. Our website is a great way for you to stay in the know, so check back frequently for updates.
A sampling of what’s coming to our community:
- State-of-the-art Rehabilitation Center
- Birdsong Clinic
- Hoy Center Lighthouse Engagement Model
- Wellness Studio
- Clubhouse Lounge at the heart of the community (offering a library, computers, coffee and conversation, snacks and more). No matter the weather outside, this beautiful new community space is sure to be a favorite gathering place.
- Expanded dining venues offering a variety of menus, ambience and dining styles.
- Living Room remodel spans the East and West Towers to create a striking and inviting area with sweeping views of the bay.
State-of-the-Art Stone Rehabilitation Center - We've broken ground!
We've broken ground on our new Rehabilitation Center on the ground floor of The Hoy Center. It's an important and impressive addition to our community.
It will be a modern, open and welcoming place for advanced therapies, and will include twenty-three private rooms designed for comfortable inpatient rehabilitation. Our state-of-the-art rehab center will include a 3,000-square-foot gym , a 500-square-foot occupational and speech therapy gym, and an outside rehab garden for complete recuperation. And for the convenience of those who take advantage of our outpatient services, there will be private, dedicated access.Close
Hoy Center Lighthouse Engagement Model- Our Birdsong Clinic will be opening soon!
In the Hoy Nursing Care Center remodel, we are creating brand-new living spaces that enhance engagement on all three floors. These modern and open private rooms will be comfortable, well-appointed and tastefully designed. In addition, our plans include three spacious and architecturally striking outdoor terraces where residents can enjoy breathtaking views and refreshing ocean breezes along with 5-star care.
Our community in the Hoy is being redesigned to create small, comfortable settings, which we call Lighthouses, each with a family room, open concept kitchen, and restaurant-style dining. Our person-centric living aligns the delivery of care with individual needs and preferences.
- Innovative technology throughout the continuum of on-site health care
- Wellness initiatives and expanded services in an intimate health care setting
- Care interactions supporting individualized choices
- Progressive interventions that support well-being and bring excitement and energy
- Enriching setting, characterized by spontaneity and flexibility, where people can engage in activities and social experiences that reflect choice and foster personal satisfaction and joy
- Person, family and community partnership and engagement
We're pleased to have opened four of our redesigned Lighthouses. Mission Point and Point Lookout are both on the 2nd floor and the Cape Henry and Rose Island Lighthouses are on the 1st Floor. Points Robert Lookout is the 3rd floor which will open in mid January. Outdoor terraces have also been added to each of our three floors. The first one opened in October.
The ground floor of the Hoy will be our Stepping Stone Lighthouse. That's also where the Birdsong Clinic is located. The opening for that is scheduled for November 28, 2017.
Wellness Studio Expansion- Opening in Spring 2018!
Our wellness renovation in our West Tower will include an impressive, newly constructed 1,800-square-foot fitness and wellness space. This modern and open area will surely be enjoyed by all as the home to our regular exercise and dance classes.
We're pleased Mayor Will Sessoms joined us as we broke ground on this exciting element of our project on June 1st.(Pictured left to right: Mark Borst, WC Plant Operations & Maintenance Director; John Berotti, Vice President at Whiting-Turner; Mayor Will Sessoms; Ben Unkle, President & CEO of WC; Rob McFarland, Chair of WC Board of Trustees; Shirley Wharton, Chair of Resident Health & Wellness Committee; Pam Clapp, WC Fitness Director)
New Clubhouse Lounge
Our new Clubhouse on the first floor of the East Tower encompasses two new and exciting additions—the Lounge and Café. Both venues will offer expansive views of the bay.
The Café will feature convenient and delicious grab-and-go meals for busy days. Our new Clubhouse, with its relaxed and inviting lounge area, will be ideal for a perfectly brewed cup of coffee or a monthly book group meeting.
Distinctively Different Dining Venues
- The exclusive Thirty-One Hundred Restaurant offers even more choices for delightful formal dining.
- Julia’s Bar and lounge is expanding its casual dining. Julia's currently offers a variety of themed evenings—Mexican, Fifties, Roaring ’20s, Asian stir-fry, Cajun and more.
- Beachfront Dining Room expansion will include terrace seating overlooking the bay. Select from the mouthwatering menu or the delectable buffet. Additional dining options will be available on the site of the former Chesapeake/The Gardens on the Bay.
Get to know us. This is where you’ll want to be. Call us today at 800-753-2918 or click here to contact us.
Current residents, family members and team members, if you have questions about the Revitalization Project, please email us at WCRevitalization@wcbay.com or call 757-217-2447 to learn more.