2nd Annual Black History Month Emerging Artist Exhibition
In celebration of Black History Month, Westminster-Canterbury on Chesapeake Bay and the Virginia Beach Art Center invites young aspiring Black artists to submit individual artworks.
Art must be submitted by January 20th.
Westminster-Canterbury on Chesapeake Bay, in partnership with the Virginia Beach Art Center, is inviting young Black artists to submit individual artworks to celebrate Black History Month.
Call for Entries
The exhibition premiers February 2, 2023 and concludes February 28th, 2023
Opening reception Wednesday, February 2, 2023 from 4-6 pm
Awards will be announced at the Opening Reception
4 scholarships will be awarded!
Best in Show, 2nd place, 3rd Place, and People’s Choice
- Fill out the submission form and submit by January 20, 2023. Up to 5 artworks may be submitted.
- Representatives from the Virginia Beach Art Center will jury your work and evaluate based on submission guidelines.
- Awards will be announced at the end of the showcase on February 2, 2023 at the Opening Reception.
- Your work will be displayed in the hallways of Westminster-Canterbury on Chesapeake Bay beginning February 3, 2023 through February 28, 2023.
- Emphasis is placed on personal experience and life’s journey. All pieces must be family-friendly.
Accepted media includes:
- Graphic Art
- Fashion Design and Apparels
- 3D (Paper-Mache, sculpture, quilting, jewelry, etc.)
Limitations: 2D works (including frames) may be up to 50” high or wide. 3D works may have a base of up to 24” square and a height of up to 50”. Works may not weigh more than 40 pounds. 2D works will be installed with picture-hanger hooks on the wall (no additional brackets, drilling, etc. will be allowed). Specialized installation should be clearly explained in the artwork description.
|1/20/2023||Deadline for submissions|
|1/26/2023||Notification (via email)|
|1/27 or 1/30/2023||Drop off hours of 12-5pm both days|
|2/2/2023||Opening reception 4-6pm|
|2/3/2023||Show opens for visitors at 10am|
|2/3 – 2/28/2023||Art Showcased in Gallery|
|3/1/2023||Pick up Art|
Open to Black undergraduate and graduate students, age 18 or older. Westminster-Canterbury can provide assistance with transport of art, if needed.
No entry fee; no commission on sales. Juror process may not select all pieces submitted.
- Fill out entry form below by midnight of the submission deadline.
- Upload a photo of each of your artworks. File name of the photo should include your last name & title.
- Submit a description and statement about the piece to be displayed with work. Statement should be 50-75 words (basically 2 lines in a standard word document. WC and the Art Center Staff reserves the right to edit statements for clarity, length or typos.
Attention: Read all rules below, but be aware of these common oversights
- Presentation must be professional and not detract from the artwork.
- Unframed pieces must have a professional finish, with clean lines and no visible staples on the sides of the canvas.
- Hanging wires must be tight, and near the top 1/5 of the frame.
- Artwork must be for sale and on view for the entire exhibition.
No commission on sales. Artists maintain 100% of sales.
Liability and Permission:
By submitting your art, you understand and agree that the Virginia Beach Art Center, The Artists Gallery and Westminster Canterbury are not responsible and cannot be held liable for any damages to artworks during and after this exhibition. Images of your work may be included in social media, press and future marketing activities.
Drop Off Art:
- The deadline for drop off is Friday 1/27 or Monday, 1/30, 12 pm to 5 pm.
- No work will be accepted after Monday at 5 pm.
- If you cannot drop off on Monday, please arrange with us for transport assistance.
- Affix a label on the back of artwork with Artist name and Title.
Pick up Art:
- Art pick up is Wednesday, March 1, 12-5 pm.
- Contact Westminster Canterbury if you need assistance with transporting art home.
Art may be taken home after 4pm on Tuesday, February 28th by those who are in attendance for the awards announcement.
- Absolutely no pick up before 4 pm on Tuesday, February 28th.
FOR INFORMATION CONTACT:
Westminster Canterbury on Chesapeake Bay
3100 Shore Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23451