What’s Happening This Fall in Virginia Beach for Seniors
One of the best things about retiring to the Chesapeake Bay area is you get resort-style living all year round. But before the colder temps of winter take hold, fall offers an ideal combination of weather, beautiful foliage, and fun activities for the young at heart.
If you’re looking for a wide range of fall activities to help you celebrate the season, you’ve come to the right place. This blog post features everything from fall festivals and arts and crafts shows to ideas for fun fall activities for seniors in the great outdoors. Let’s get started.
10 Cool Things to Do in Cooler Temperatures
- Fall festival fun: The Neptune Festival is a three-day event with daily concerts at festival stages scattered along the boardwalk’s 30+ blocks, featuring performances from local, regional and national recording artists. There will also be over 225 artisans displaying their handmade art and crafts.
- That’s a great pumpkin: Visit a pick-your-own pumpkin patch like Bush Neck Farm in Williamsburg. If you can’t wait until pumpkin season, they’ll also let you pick your own apples.
- Picture this: Fall in Virginia Beach means you’re surrounded by orange and red leaves, yellow flowers, and pumpkins. So it’s a great time to grab your camera (or use your phone) to grab some snapshots.
- Craft beer festivals: Take your pick of fall beer festivals, including Coastal Craft Beer Festival, Virginia Beach Craft Beer Festival and Boos, Brews and BBQ Festival. Each features regional craft beers.
- Wine time: If wine is more your beverage of choice, fall also features the 25th Annual Fall Wine Festival. Hosted by Virginia’s leading vineyards, you can sample over 60 wines while enjoying delicious food and live entertainment. You can also take home a bottle (or a case) from your favorite winery.
- Beach day: Just because the days are getting shorter doesn’t mean you can’t spend some time at the beach. Plus, most of the summertime crowds have gone home, so you’ll pretty much have the beach all to yourself. Of course, at Westminster-Canterbury, the beach is always available right outside your door.
- Haunted fun: As the days shorten and the nights lengthen, the spirits come out to play. With its seafaring history (including the pirate Blackbeard), Virginia Beach is home to a variety of haunts that’ll make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.
- Great outdoors: If you’re more into enjoying the crisp fall air surrounded by acres of natural beauty, one of the most affordable fall activities you can enjoy is exploring the area’s parks. Westminster-Canterbury is just 5 minutes from First Landing State Park. Virginia’s most-visited state park offers many recreational and educational activities along its 20 miles of trails and 1.5 miles of sandy Chesapeake Bay beach frontage.
- Harvest time: In the fall, the last of the local crops are harvested, which makes it a great time to shop for flowers and seasonal fruits and vegetables at a local farmers market. The Old Beach Farmers Market features local meats, eggs, seafood, cheeses, a wide assortment of baked goods and more.
- Spectacular sunrises: If you love the idea of watching the sunrise over the ocean, but think it all happens too early, you’re in luck. Fall means the days start just a little bit later, giving you a chance to watch the sun come up at a more reasonable hour. Plus the cooler weather colors are amazing.
Experience Year-Round Fun
At Westminster-Canterbury, our focus on your total health and wellness means there’s so much to do we never have an off-season. To learn more about our active, resort-style senior living community, contact us today.